Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mobs of Children

School and camp groups love dressing their children in really bright colors...like bright pink or bright green. The most common one is bright yellow...probably because yellow doesn't indicate either gender like pink does.

It'll be a calm, calm day. All will be still. Birds chirp, squirrels copulate, women wearing huge high heels fall on their asses to provide a good laugh. A buff jogger will come by and make me stare. A fat jogger will come by and make me feel good about myself.

And then a massive yellow wall will descend upon me like a wave. With their questions. With their incessant demands for water fountains, bathrooms, and educational experiences. DESCEND

What's worse - the camp guides and teachers feel like tour guides are babysitters, and then they can just leave. This is legally not the case. You don't know how many teachers I've had to chase down yelling, "EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! WE CANNOT ACT AS CARETAKERS!!!"

So about my book, ALEX.

Or, rather, Alexander(A), which is what it will be called.

I'm looking for a 40,000 - 50,000 word count. So far, I have a little over 18,000. I'm almost halfway there. As for the content - it's (roughly) a coming of age story. Of a transvestite.

It's more complicated than that, but I don't wanna give too much away.

:-D

1 comment:

LadyStyx said...

This reminded me of the time I worked for a school in Louisiana. Since the kids were in uniform every day, we had special shirts made up for fieldtrips and such. Each grade level picked out the pattern they wanted and it was airbrushed on a white shirt for the kids in that class. It was great for the substitutes because even if they didnt know each child's name, you knew which kid belonged to your grade level at a glance. For staff memebers, we knew which grade was on the play ground at anytime as well.

I'd hope that not everyschool just ditched the kids like that. I know when I chaparoned, I knew where every kid of my group was at all times. Then again, I was one of the more visible staff members too. As attendance clerk I was seen quite frequently in the classrooms, and being one of the younger staff members...I was more like an older sister or auntie to most. Well except for the 10-12 yr olds and under crowd, I seemed to be more of a momma figure for them. *laffz* I kept telling my friends that I'd like for someone to get on their knees and take a picture of me from that level so I could see why the kids liked to come running like they did...