Thursday, September 4, 2008

Word Count: 12,619

Tomorrow I have bookstore all day. Which means I'll get plenty of...

WRITING TIME!!!

However, my writing will be interrupted constantly by this one harrowing question:

WHERE IS THE STATUE OF LIBERTY FERRY?!

Foreigners just walk in and say, "Stat-ooo leee-bear-teee???"

It is apparently the question that drives every single burning heart.

I don't mind answering the question. A lot of people come a long way to see the bitch. But I DO mind when people try to steal my maps.

Since the question is asked about once every minute (sometimes more), I have a small map of lower Manhattan with my building circled with your typical "YOU ARE HERE" over the bookstore I'm in and a dotted arrow going towards Castle Clinton, which is where you get tickets to see her. (In all honesty, the STATEN ISLAND FERRY is better. It's a free boat ride and you go right by the statue. I tell tourists this as much as possible because I don't like when people spend money.)

Now, I only have one of these little maps, and I never let anyone hold it, and I kind of keep it really close to me when I tell people where to go. But so many people try to MOLEST my piece of paper. They want it. They gotta have it. Problem is, I only have one copy, and there are about a billion other people with the same exact question.

Then people complain that we don't print maps.

We are a tourist site! Why would I create a bunch of maps on how to LEAVE my tourist spot to get to ANOTHER? I still want, you know, a job! That would be like Coca-Cola giving out coupons for Pepsi and then giving you a map to the Pepsi-Cola plant.

12,619 words. Keep reaching for that rainbow, Mila.


1 comment:

Victoria said...

Congratulations on your word count!

Also, "It is apparently the question that drives every single burning heart," made me laugh out loud.