Friday, September 12, 2008

Stupid Questions

Commonly, I will be answering one question when someone comes up to me and asks the same exact question that I just answered. Which is fine if you really didn't hear it all.

But what really cooks my noodle is when two people (who didn't come together) are staring at me. One asks a question and the other waits:

Visitor 1: "Where is the tour?"
Me: "At the top of the hill."
Visitor 1: "OK. Thanks." (This part is optional. Half the time people simply walk away when I've answered their question.)

Now Visitor 2 steps forward.

Visitor 2: "Where's the tour?"

This happens more than it possibly should.

There is also this situation, which happens at least five times a day:

Visitor 1: "Where's the tour?"
Me: "At the top of the hill."
Visitor 1: "OK, so the tour is at the top of the hill, right?

NO. It's NOT. I just told you that to CONFUSE you.

Back to writing, Mila, just get back to writing...

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

LOL - I came here via LadyStyx's blog - pleased to meet you.

I bet dealing with the mass mob that is the public really takes more patience than any human being could possibly be expected to possess.

I think some folks repeat their question / answer like the one in your example to verify that they heard /understood you - understandble if its noisy. But - they should say "Thank you" and most don't.

I walk a lot, and on the main street in town, so I get folks driving by asking me where this or that is - I think I have a sign over my head that says, "Map dude here" or something.

Anyway, a few days ago, a lady stopped in the middle of the road and had about 30 cars (all honking away) behind her, rolls down her window, and asks me, "Where is THE bank?" I could barely hear her over the din. I yelled "WHAT BANK LADY?" and she names one - I turn and point a half block down the street and say, "See that green BANK sign? thats the BANK you want." So what she say? "You don't have to yell at me sonny," and drives off.

LadyStyx said...

Thanks for stopping by my blogspot. You're welcome to visit anytime.

Stupid questions...gotta love them.